Monday, June 16, 2008

Jumping on the bandwagon - FIRST BLOG!!

Hello all!

Well, I thought I would join the crowd and start a blog. After graduating with my master's degree in May, and not working on a thesis anymore, I have a little more free time to write down my thoughts. I hope I will be good at updating this thing often, but don't hold me too it. I hope to be able to share my thoughts on my family, my music and my life in general. Until I get my website going, this will be a place I can post some scores and maybe recordings and pictures from my experiences as a composer.

As some of you may know, I was recently accepted to the doctoral program at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. This is a huge deal for me. I met David Dzubay will searching for grad schools in 2005. I completely fell in love with his music. Long story short, I helped bring him down to Arkansas State University, my alma mater, for a 3 day residency and have stayed in contact with him ever since. At that time, I never really thought I would ever get to study under him, but starting in September of this year, I will. Indiana University is such an amazing place for a composer. There are so many performance opportunities, something like 6-8 composer concerts every year, and some of the greatest student musicians anywhere in the US. As a composer of new music, what more could I ask for. To make it even better, their new music ensemble is considered to be one of the greatest student ensembles in the country. I can't wait for this new journey to begin. (And my wife can't wait for it too end!)

Hopefully soon I will post some pages from my thesis and some other things too. So long for now...


No comments: